Skip to main content

Crevettes au Curry (Shrimp Curry) {Côte d'Ivoire}


The original recipe I found was Ecrevisses au Curry (crayfish curry), but I didn't have crayfish. I did have shrimp. So, we made Crevettes au Curry instead. Dylan did a great job on dinner! He's becoming quite a talented little cook.


















1 spring onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
1 mango (slightly underripe) peel and diced
2 tomatoes, wedged
1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1 can coconut milk
1 T curry powder
freshly ground pink Himalaya salt
freshly ground flower pepper

In a large flat-bottomed pan, saute onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil. Add the mango and cook until slightly caramelized. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque. Stir in the tomatoes, coconut flakes and simmer until the tomatoes begin to soften. Season with curry powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour in the coconut milk and cook until desired consistency.

The traditional recipe serves this over rice. We served it over another Côte d'Ivoire dish: mashed yams and tomatoes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...