Skip to main content

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles


This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up...

Other Pairings

Back in January 2016, the #Winophiles did a look at Burgundy and I poured a bottle from Trader Joe's. I didn't note the retail price of that bottle, but I guarantee it was affordable. Not many wines at Trader Joe's go for higher than $40 and most are less than $20! In any case, I shared Cod Grenobloise + a Louis Jadot Chardonnay.


In July 2020, I posted Halibut à la Barigoule, and Prosper Maufoux Bourgogne Chardonnay. A quick search shows that the current vintage of that bottle clock in under $20 as well.


December 2020 had the #Winophiles posting about 'tied houses' when we compared wines made with Burgundy grapes that were made in Oregon! For that, I shared Galette au Chou + 2017 Résonance Pinot Noir.

In My Glass

Clearly Chardonnay rules the roost when it comes to 'Affordable Bourgnone' or, at the very least, it's easily accessible for me here on California's central coast. So, sourcing a bottle for this event led me down the same path. I got my hands on a bottle of 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. The retail price hovers around the $20 mark. I found a bottle of $19 and another for $23. 

Viré-Clessé is a relatively new appellation in the upper half of the Mâconnais region of southern Burgundy. Henry Fessy and his father-in-law, Jean Pelissier, joined forces with the mission to create excellent wines on a parcel in Brouilly. During the latter part of the 20th century, their sons and grandsons expanded beyond Brouilly. In 2008, the acquired Maison Louis Latour in Burgundy.

The 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé pours a lovely pale straw color. On the nose there are aromas of ripe peaches, limestone, and lemon verbena. On the palate, the full-bodied wine was balanced with creamy browned butter layers and the sweetness of quince paste.

On My Plate and In My Bowl

To go with my affordable Bourgnone, I doctored up some canned lobster bisque and made Connecticut Lobster Rolls. Read my recipe here.


That's a wrap on my offering for the November #Winophiles. We will be wrapping up the year with an exploration of Champagne with Jeff of FoodWineClick! leading the discussion. Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. You just brought me back to Bourgogne by way of New England! Terrific pairing and I love the price point on the Chardonnay! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks for hosting, Cindy. This was a fun one.

      Delete
  2. I didn't pay attention to the wine you served with this meal in the first post. Great choice Cam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I shamelessly let some posts do double duty - post the recipe for one group and post the wine pairing later!

      Delete
  3. Lobster roll and Bourgogne Chardonnay - a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce