Skip to main content

Spiced Avocado Chocolate Mousse


To end our Pre-Popul Vuh Picnic, I had to make something with chocolate.

The Ancient Maya noted that the cacao tree - ka'kau - was the only tree worth naming. They believed that the tree was from the gods and that the pods were the god's gifts to humans. Mayan chocolate is mentioned in the hieroglyphics and depicted on their and religious implements and architectural structures.The Mayan verb chokola'j means "to drink chocolate together."

Mayan texts describe a drink made from chocolate, but it ran the gamut from a smooth drink to a rustic porridge made with corn meal. Pictures on different artifacts show cocoa being poured from one vessel to another to produce froth. Spices, such as chilis, were also added to the chocolate mixture.

Here's a photo of Quetzalcoatl, the plumed serpent, in el Teatro Campesino's production Popul Vuh: Heart of Heaven. R remembered that, according to Mayan legend, Quetzalcoatl gave the people chocolate - or the cacao bean.


I chose to make an avocado based mousse since avocados flourish in the YucatƔn peninsula. I stirred in some ricotta cheese for added depth and texture. Quetzalcoatl...thank you for chocolate! We are eternally grateful.

Ingredients

  • 3 ripe avocados
  • 1/2 C ginger syrup
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1 T organic chocolate extract
  • 1 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t ground ginger
  • 1/4 t ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 t ground smoked paprika (use regular paprika, if you don't have smoked...or leave it out altogether)
  • 1/2 ricotta cheese

Procedure
Cube the avocados and place them in a blender. Do this in two batches if you need to. Add in all of the ingredients and blend till smooth. Spoon into teeny, tiny serving cups - this is potent! - and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...