Skip to main content

10 Span Vineyards {Wine Tasting}


I love discovering new-to-me wines. And I especially love when there's a story behind the wines. My family and I went to a fantastic event this weekend: Feathers in Flight, a benefit for the Ventana Wildlife Society. Besides their director being a friend, my boys attended a condor camp, through VWS, this summer and really love condors now.

The boys were able to handle a falcon...

 

We watched a falconer in action...


And I got to try some 10 Span Vineyards' wines. Click to go to: 10 Span's website. But, here's the gist.... A portion of 10 SPAN wine sales benefits the Ventana Wildlife Society. VWS is an organization dedicated to reintroducing this endangered, majestic bird, back into its native habitat in central California. Gotta love that. Wine with a cause!

In the Glass...



I tasted both the Pinot Gris and the Pinot Noir, but went for a glass of the red! Fruity with a little bit of a spicy kick, this Pinot Noir was delightful. There was a floral aroma that lingered, but wasn't overpowering. Very nice.

And here's Dolly, an injured condor, we got to meet. She was visiting from a zoo in southern California.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...