Skip to main content

A Pre-Popol Vuh Picnic


When D's teacher sent out a flyer about el Teatro Campesino's production of “Popol Vuh: Heart of Heaven," for this weekend, I knew we would go. The Mayan archaeology class that I took in college was one of my favorites. And the boys have actually been to some Mayan ruins in Mexico. Granted it was a long time ago, but I'll show them these photos anyway...

We ate graham crackers on the steps of the pyramid...


...and touched the artifacts. Oye!


Besides, I'm always up for a cultural adventure to which I can tie a themed menu.

About the Play...



Adapted from the Popol Vuh, the sacred creation book of the Quiché Maya, "Heart of Heaven" recounts the creation of the universe and the earth, staged as a pageant with larger-than-lifesize puppets, live music, colorful costumes and spirited dances.




“Popol Vuh: Heart of Heaven” is narrated in three languages: Spanish, English, and Quiché –the
Mayan language embodying the oral tradition that kept Popol Vuh alive for centuries. And it was neat that the performances ran completely on solar and wind energy. We had a great day!


About our Feast... Click on the recipe titles to go to the original recipe post.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...