Skip to main content

Spaghetti Out of Squash? Yep!


Hooray for friends with green thumbs! When I came home from work on Monday, Jake had a spaghetti squash for me from Marne's garden. Thanks. Last night, it was an easy and delicious dinner.

I can't remember the first time I had spaghetti squash, but I know that it wasn't too long ago. A couple of years. Maybe. But I do remember being dubious that the yellow, football-sized squash would actually render pasta-like strands as promised. It does! Trust me. And it's so easy.

Ingredients
  • spaghetti squash
  • olive oil
  • pasta sauce of your choice

Procedure
Cut the squash in half, length-wise, and scoop out the seeds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with .

Drizzle the inside with olive oil and place it upside down on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet. Let roast for 90 minutes. It should be soft to the touch.


Invert the squash.


Use a fork to shred the flesh into strands.



Place the squash in a bowl and top with your favorite pasta sauce. I had some fresh marinara.
Pronto al tavolo!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...