Skip to main content

Cereals by Attune Foods {Taste Testing}


Several months ago, I took part in an online chat about whole foods and was contacted by a gal at Attune Foods who asked if I might be willing to try their product. Absolutely! But it slipped through the cracks (totally my fault, not hers) and I neglected to write a review. Yikes!

I apologized, did more reading on my own, and located a few of their product lines here locally. I don't typically purchase boxed cereals for my family; I usually make homemade granola once a week for a quick grab-n-go breakfast. So, my boys were excited to help me test these out.

We tried Peace Cereal's Cherry Almond Clusters and Flakes. And we tried Erewhon's Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. 


What I loved...

They passed my label test. Every ingredient is pronounceable and recognizable - not just by me, but by my 10 and 11 year olds. This is the list for the Crispy Brown Rice cereal: Organic brown rice, Organic brown rice syrup, Sea salt. Yep. That's it.

They use whole grains. There are three parts to a whole grain: germ (the inner layer) that contains B vitamins that play a key role in the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, fats and energy; endosperm (the middle layer) that provides a source of energy for body cells; and bran (the outer layer) that is an excellent source of fiber. Attune uses it all.

Most of them carry the Non-GMO Project certification seal. No need to expound on that. I'm decidedly anti-GMO.

Lastly, they taste good. As I said, we don't eat a lot of boxed cereal, but I remember eating 'healthier' cereals when I was in college and they reminded me of cardboard pieces. These two cereals were crisp and flavorful. And I liked that these cereals by Attune were healthy, whole grain options for my family.


Glad to have made the acquaintance of Attune. I'll certainly seek these brands out when I need some boxed cereals...on camping trips, for instance. Add a handful of fresh fruit and you're good to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...