Skip to main content

50-50 Chia Pudding

Get ready...I'm about to show my age. Do you remember these popsicles?


On the rare occasion that my mom and dad gave me money for the ice cream truck on a hot summer afternoon, these are the popsicles I would get.  I didn't eat chocolate at the time, so I always opted for this one. My friends and I would hear the music coming around the housing development, grab our coins, and sprint over to the truck from whichever front yard we were playing in. We would crowd the ice cream man, waiting impatiently for him to pull our selections out of the cooler. Then we would plunk ourselves down on the curb and greedily devour our summertime treats. 

I whipped up this 50-50 chia pudding for breakfast this morning and was instantly transported back to those summers with these flavors. 

My boys were intrigued, but each played with their serving, adding in more orange juice. R preferred the 70-30 ratio while D said that 60-40 was his preference! So, we got in a good conversation about percentages and ratios around the breakfast table while we ate. Math refresher and breakfast. Woohoo.


Ingredients
  • 6 T chia seeds
  • 1 C fresh orange juice
  • 1 C coconut milk
  • 1 T honey (I used a wildflower honey from Kimes Apiary in Watsonville)
Procedure
Pour the juice, coconut milk, and honey into a large jar. Add in the chia seeds. Cover with a lid and shake to combine. Let sit in the refrigerator - to chill and thicken - overnight. To serve, spoon into glasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...