Skip to main content

Molded Hard-Boiled Eggs

From my Lunchbox Wars linky, Erin from Making Memories with Your Kids shared a recipe for Hard Boiled Eggs Served with a Smile. I thought: what a great idea! And I, promptly, ordered some from amazon; I got the star, heart, bunny, bear, fish, and car.


So, for the first day of school, last week, I decided these would make a nice surprise. I gave them each one at breakfast to which Dylan asked, "WHY does my egg have a smile?" Then I figured the bear looked close enough to a wombat...so I included that in his lunch with a note that read: enjoy your wombat egg.

In hindsight, I should have been accurate and written: enjoy your wombat-shaped egg. Because my lil' wombat-phile was mortified that I might have possibly cooked a wombat fetus and tried to serve it to him. Oye.

When the egg came home untouched, I asked why. He told me, horrified. Riley laughed and said, "Silly goose, wombats don't lay eggs. They give birth to a live wombat baby!" Needless to say, I will be more careful with my lunchbox love notes.

How to...

Hard boil your eggs, cooking them in boiling water to ten minutes. Peel the egg while still hot. Place it in the mold, close it, and let it cool completely - overnight, if possible. Once chilled, unmold and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...