For our annual Halloween camping trip, we all bring appetizers to share during the pumpkin carving. I wanted to bring something not only tasty, but festive; I found a recipe for a freaky shrimp cocktail brain. Perfect!
- 3 pounds frozen cooked medium shrimp (with tails), thawed and drained well
- 1/4 cup roasted red sweet peppers, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a small saucepan combine chicken broth and unflavored gelatin; let stand 5 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin has dissolved. Whisk in lemon peel, lemon juice, tomato paste, honey, garlic, salt, ginger, and cayenne pepper until combined. Pour mixture over shrimp in bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
To unmold, set bowl in a sink filled with warm water for several seconds. Invert a large plate with sides over bowl. Invert plate and bowl together and remove bowl to unmold. Cover and chill until needed (up to 24 hours).