Skip to main content

Riley-ball's Meatballs


My boys, at least the little ones, really enjoy cooking, but during a tightly scheduled school week, I rarely take the time to have them cook. I know it's not the best attitude; it's just faster to do it myself. However, when we aren't under pressure of a looming bedtime with homework to be done, I try to let them get some kitchen-time in. Riley wanted to make his favorite dish for dinner tonight: spaghetti and meatballs. The recipe changes based on what I have, but the basic  recipe = meat, a binding agent (egg and cheese), spices, and - instead of breadcrumbs that some cooks use - ground nuts. Super easy.

1 pound of 96-4 organic ground beef
1 egg
1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese
1 t ground ancho chili powder
1 T unsweetened cocoa
1 T minced garlic
ground hazelnuts
dash of pink Himalaya salt
minced fresh thyme
Mix everything together in a bowl, adding enough ground hazelnuts that the mixture can be formed into balls. Place tomato sauce, a splash of red wine, and 2 T minced fresh thyme in a large saucepan. Drop meatballs into the sauce and simmer till cooked through.

Toss pasta with 1 T of olive oil. Add the meatballs and sauce. Serve piping hot with more cheese on top, if desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...