Skip to main content

A Grimm Menu + #TurkeyDayRosé Pairings

 

Every year I pick a theme for our Thankgiving feast. Previous menus have included Ab Ovo Usque Ad Mala, A Thanksgiving Menu, inspired by the historical novelist Crystal King; A Claudia Rodin-Inspired Thanksgiving Menu: Arabesque; A Feast from the East, featuring dishes with Asian flair; a menu with a Literary Twist; Thanksgivukkah, when Thanksgiving and Hannukah collided; and more.

Inspired by this bizarre year when we have all be sheltered-in-place as the coronavirus rages on, I have a somewhat grim outlook on the holidays. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we all stay home so that, in the future, we are all still around. But it's mentally grueling to celebrate yet another holiday without friends and family.

I miss cooking for my circle. I miss the people crowded around my dining room table. I miss the laughter as the kids run off into the other room and shoot Nerf guns or have a pillow fight. And I miss hugging my parents. Since March we have only seen them at a safe distance and fully masked. Still I am grateful that they have their health and we are all learning to connect virtually.

'Grim' (with one 'm') isn't about just my less than sunny disposition this Thanksgiving, Jake and I have also been streaming the television series Grimm (with two 'm's) about a homicide detective in Portland who is a descendant of hunters who track down supernatural creatures. So, I have been revisiting the Grimm's fairy tales on the side. They are definitely not for children!

As I share the recipes on my blog, I'll give a synopsis or, at least, a quotation from the fairy tale.


And, if you're asking why I am pairing this with a bunch of pink wines from France, I received a care package from Kobrand Wine & Spirits. And I thought to myself, "Why not?!"

Here are the hyperlinked recipe posts (this will be updated as they go live!). Stay tuned...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream

As we headed inland from the coast, I cringed as the temperature gauge in the car for outside temp climbed into the triple digits. Ugh. I'm a rather wimpy central coastal Californian who begins to wilt when it's 70 degrees outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning and a planned ice cream stop. When I parked the car outside Frozen Art Gourmet Ice Cream in Santa Rosa, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. We knew that we still had to get to the campsite...and set up our tents in the heat. But we were going to enjoy the cool, sweet treats from Frozen Art first! Michoacana ice creameries are the equivalent of Starbucks in Mexico; they're ubiquitous. Purists, however, claim that operating a true Michoacana ice cream shop require ties to Tocumbo. It's estimated that almost ninety percent of the Tocumban population is currently employed in the ice cream business from making ice cream itself to making equipment. But the real art of Tocumban ice creams: imaginat...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.