Skip to main content

Summer Salad with Greens, Microflowers, and Berries #NationalBlueberryMonth


Monday kicked off a week-long celebration of all things blueberry. Many thanks to Ellen of Family Around the Table and Christie of A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures for wrangling all of us. Here we are at day three...


Blueberry Week Recipes

Breakfast
Drinks & Appetizers
Dinner
Dessert

Summer Salad with Greens, 
Microflowers, and Berries


This isn't really a recipe, per se, but it's a lovely addition to any summer table, so I wanted to share it and hope it inspires you! 

Greens, edible flowers, berries - blueberries for this week! - and your favorite salad dressing. Place in a bowl and toss. That's it! 

But, just for fun, here's my favorite berry vinaigrette. This sweet and tart dressing is made with pureed berries, honey, vinegar, and oil. Since the berries are pureed in the dressing, it doesn’t matter if they are a little overripe. Just avoid any moldy berries. For this week, I used organic blueberries, but I've done the same process with strawberries, blackberries, and even golden raspberries. Get creative.

Blueberry Vinaigrette

  • 1 C blueberries
  • 1 T honey 
  • 5 T red wine vinegar 
  • 1/3 C olive oil 
  • 1 t salt 
  • 1/4 t black pepper


Combine the blueberries, honey, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree until very smooth, about 2 minutes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...