Skip to main content

Carrot Flatbread


Foccacia, an Italian flat-bread, is such an easy thing to make. There's very little kneading required because the yeast does all the work. So, I often make some on the weekends - topped with whatever I have on hand.

Today I wanted to use some shredded carrots that I had from Grimmway Farms, who generously sent carrots to all of the bloggers taking part in the #BrunchWeek 2014 event in May.

Ingredients

  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 t freshly ground salt
  • 1 t dry active yeast
  • 1 C warm water
  • 1 C shredded carrots (I used shredded carrots from Grimmway Farms*)
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • thin slices of organic lemon
  • 2 T fresh mint, thinly sliced

*I received complimentary bags of carrots from Grimmway Farms for participating in the #BrunchWeek 2014 event coming up in May.

Procedure
In a large bowl, stir flour, salt and yeast together until well combined. Add warm water and stir well until a sticky dough is formed. Let rise, covered, in a warm place for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use your fingertips to press the dough flat onto your baking stone. Top with carrots and sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Before serving, top with thin slices of lemon, fresh mint, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...