Skip to main content

Definition: Gourmet

Upscale restaurants in America, calling themselves "innovative and gourmet," prepare food the way we used to. In Iran, it's simply how everybody ate.
~Firoozeh Dumas, Funny in Farsi

This quotation was what started a family discussion on our way to Garrapata today. And it continued while we hiked to the top of Doud Peak...


I asked: What does gourmet mean? D asserted 'exotic, fancy'; Jake added 'lavish'; R thought 'creative.' 

Eventually we decided that 'gourmet' is a relative term. What's gourmet to one cook might be everyday for another. I think, for some, gourmet just means homemade or from scratch. For us, it's a dish that's exotic, fancy, lavish, and creative. I'll add layered and innovative. I think a gourmet dish has multiple flavors and textures. Thanks, Firoozeh, for the starting point of a great conversation!

What do you think gourmet means?

Comments

  1. I've had these same exact thoughts myself ... what is gourmet really? Isn't it relative? Seems to me it's really over-used in America as a marketing strategy! :)

    Thanks for sharing your experiences with making labneh for SRC. I'm making more this week, actually!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment