Skip to main content

Stinging Nettle and Lamb Börek #SundayFunday


Today the Sunday Funday group is cooking with lamb. Thanks to Stacy of Food Lust People Love, Sue of Palatable Pastime, Rebekah of Making Miracles, and Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm for coordinating this low-stress group. 

Today Stacy is hosting the Sunday Funday bloggers as we cook with lamb. She wrote: "Spring lamb is one of the traditional main dishes for Easter but let's not limit ourselves to roasts. Share your favorite recipes with lamb, be they curries or burgers, slow cooked shoulder or roasted legs. Any recipe featuring lamb as the main ingredient." Here's the lamb line-up...


Lamb Dish Parade

Stinging Nettles
If you've been reading my blog regularly, you'll know how I often end up with less than usual ingredients. And you can hop on over to my post A Little Kitchen Witchery and Stinging Nettle Risotto to see why I had stinging nettles to use. For some reason I never posted this recipe way back then, so I knew this was the perfect time to share it. Stinging nettles and lamb?! Yep. That sounded like the perfect Sunday Funday recipe.


I have to chuckle with an exchange I had online with friend who is now an adult but used to babysit my boys when he was a teenager. Regarding my peanut gallery not thinking they should be eating something that required gloves to touch, he quipped,  "I think the peanut gallery has an excellent point." Shhh....

Then, knowing how much he despises squash, I asked if he would rather take his chances with the nettles or eat squash. Surprisingly, he answered: "Oh, give me squash 10/10 times. I’m still traumatized by the nettles we had in our backyard as a kid." I promised I wasn't laughing at him. I lied. But that's a story for another day.

So, with more nettles to use. I decided to wilt them, like spinach, and use them in a version of Börek.

Ingredients serves 4

  • 2 to 3 cups fresh stinging nettles (if you don't have stinging nettles, use spinach)
  • water
  • ice
  • 1 pound ground lamb (or other meat)
  • 1 organic white onion, peeled and thinly sliced (approximately 2 cups)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 cup crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced
  • freshly ground salt to taste
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 12 pieces phyllo dough cut in half lengthwise to make 24 sheets approximately 8" x 12"
  • melted butter for rolling

Procedure

Stinging Nettles
I like to use a pot with a removable strainer to make draining it quick and easy. Fill pot - with strainer nestled inside - with water and bring to a boil. Place ice in a mixing bowl and pour in 2 cups cold water.

In the meantime, pluck the leaves from the stems with gloved hands. Once you have 3 to 3 cups of nettle leaves, submerge them in the boiling water until they are wilted and have turned a brilliant emerald green, approximately 30 seconds. Remove the strainer and plunge the leaves into the ice water bath. They can stay in there as long as you need. Drain the leaves and set aside.

Börek
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

In a large skillet, heat the oil and add in the onion. Cook until the onion is softened and beginning to turn translucent. Crumble in the ground meat, season with cumin, and cook until browned through. Fold in the herbs and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have softened a little. Then stir in the cooked nettles.


Turn the meat mixture into a colander and drain out the fat; you want the meat as dry as possible for the börek or the dough will get soggy.

Stir in the feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as needed.

While you're working with the phyllo, keep them covered with a damp kitchen towel as they dry out very quickly.


Place three sheets of phyllo on a flat surface. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the lamb mixture on the short side of the rectangle in a strip that's about 2" wide. Brush the edges of the phyllo with melted butter, then fold in the edges and roll as tightly as you can without breaking the dough. Place the börek on a lightly buttered baking sheet.


 Brush lightly with melted butter and repeat until the tray is full or the filling gone.


Once all the rolls are ready, place the tray in the preheated oven. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes. The phyllo should be golden brown and crisp.


We served these with a crisp green salad and a red wine.

That's a wrap  for our #SundayFunday chile fest. We'll be back next week as Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm leads us in a round-up of ways to use Easter leftover recipes. I love repurposing leftovers, so I'm  excited to get some new-to-me recipes. Can't wait!

Comments

  1. I have never heard of borek. Greek egg rolls...they sound delicious even with the stinging nettles LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't even know where to start sourcing stinging nettles here but there's an abundance growing wild where we have a home in the Channel Islands. I had no idea they were edible! For now, I'll have to try your tasty borek with spinach. I especially love the crunchy golden phyllo outsides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll go with the spinach! Phyllo has always been my nemesis so I'll tackle that first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have childhood stinging nettle trauma too - I'm not sure I could get past that either LOL! BUT I would definitely make this with spinach - it sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce