Skip to main content

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

I had a bounty of summer squash - both from my CSA and from my friend and her husband's prolific garden - plus we were celebrating a friend's (slightly belated) birthday at the beach. So, I decided to bake a chocolate zucchini treat for dessert. So easy...


¾ C sunflower oil
3 T whole milk yogurt
2 eggs
1 C organic granulated sugar
2 t vanilla extract
2 C white whole wheat flour
½  C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½  t  baking soda
½ C semisweet chocolate chips
2 C zucchini, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter your baking dish, I used an 11” round baking stone, but this should fill a 9”x13” rectangle just as well.

In a large bowl, mix together all of your wet ingredients – oil, yogurt, and eggs. Whisk in the sugar and vanilla. Then add in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and stir until just moistened. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake springs back when gently touched. When cool, dust with powdered sugar and slice.

Welcome back to this timezone, Danae. And happy belated birthday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...