R. my Precise Kitchen Elf, has been asking me to turn some of the last Halloween pumpkins into a pie. So, yesterday while he was helping out at the Food Bank, I roasted them and made pumpkin puree. This afternoon I asked him to wash his hand and get an apron.
You're going to make pumpkin pie.
"Oh, I wanted you to make it, Mom."
Nope. If you want it, you will learn to make it!
- 2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
Mix the flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt; rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in 1 teaspoon of water with a fork until the mixture forms a ball. Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper. Press gently into a pie pan. Chill in the freezer until ready to bake.
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, agave, and molasses (I would normally just use maple syrup, but I didn't have enough, so we combined)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg