Skip to main content

Riley's Double Chip Cinnamon Cookies

All day Riley has been asking if he could make cookies. I think he asked me twelve times, at least. So, I finally got everything out and let him create. And I decided that for every time he pestered me, I'll let him bake a different kind of cookie. Here's the first of Riley's 12 Days of Christmas Cookies. It won't be twelve days in a row, but it'll be twelve days between now and Christmas!

He wanted to make cinnamon cookies with two kinds of chips. Here's his recipe...

1 C butter
1 C organic dark brown sugar
1 C organic granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
2 C white whole wheat flour
1 C ground almonds
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 T ground cinnamon
2 t eggnog
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 C white chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs and blend until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and eggnog. Sift in the dry ingredients - except the chips - and blend with a spatula until just moistened. Gently fold in the chips. Drop by rounded spoonful onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes - or until the cookies are nicely browned.

Caveats: These spread out quite a bit, so give your cookies room to flatten. And cooking them for a shorter time with render them more chewy. Riley wanted his crispy

Enjoy with a glass of eggnog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...