Skip to main content

Vegetable Wat {Ethiopia}


I had initially planned to make Doro Wat (chicken wat), but I missed putting the chicken into the fridge when I got home from the grocery store the night before. So, it was sitting at room temperature for far too long. I dumped it in the garbage - with a little bit of cursing (in Italian! I only curse in Italian, so no one knows what I'm saying. And even if the boys repeat me, no one will understand them.) - and changed directions, using whatever vegetables I had. There is an Ethiopian vegetable stew that looked interesting, but I preferred the spice combination in the wat, so I flew by the seat of my pants on this one.

1 onion, diced
1 shallot, diced
1 head of cauliflower, shopped into bite-sized pieces
2 zucchini, chopped
4 potatoes, chopped
2 C tomato sauce
1-1/2 C water
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground paprika
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cardamom
1/2 t ground nutmeg
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, saute the onions and shallots in a splash of oil or a pat of butter. Add the potatoes and cook until just about fork tender. Add the cauliflower and zucchini and cook until they begin to soften. Add the tomato sauce and water and bring to a boil. Season with the remaining ingredients and simmer until the vegetables are completely soft. Serve with a dollop of iab and some injera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...