Skip to main content

French Onion Soup

So, one of the premises of our Cooking Around the World Adventure: explore different countries by cooking a traditional meal. As we are wrapping up the 'F' countries with a tabletop trip to France, I half-heartedly suggested escargots. The response was not enthusiastic. My husband said he'd strike - only for that one meal, of course; my usually agreeable Dylan said, quite tepidly, "ohhhhhhh, okay, Mommy"; and Riley gave me a disapproving look and didn't say a word.

"What do you think of when I say 'France'?" I queried. I have never heard them answer in such unison before: "Pastries!" they hollered.

Oh, brother! I suggested quiche. No. Coq au vin. Nope. We all agreed on French Onion Soup.


onions
thyme
butter
beef boullion
pink Himalaya salt
white wine
bread, sliced (I used some day-old ciabatta)
gruyère

Peel and slice 3lbs of organic yellow onions. Cook onions, thyme, and salt in butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 45 minutes. Stir in wine and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for another 30 minutes.

While soup simmers, make the croûtes. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread on a large baking sheet and toast, turning over once, until completely dry, about 15 minutes. Once the croûtes have become crisp, lay sliced gruyère on the breads and return them to the oven until melted and bubbling.

Divide soup among bowl, then float a cheesy croûte in each.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...