Skip to main content

Sinfully Delicious Chocolate Pudding

Here's how the conversation went...

"What are we having for a snack tonight?"
What do you want?
"Dessert."
What kind of dessert?
"Something chocolate-y...and Christmas-y."

That's it. And off I went, into the rummage through my cabinets. Here's what I came up with: a decadent, rich chocolate pudding with cinnamon and nutmeg. Nutmeg always reminds me of Christmas.

3 C heavy cream
1 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 C organic granulated sugar
1/3 C flour
4 egg yolks
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
8 T butter

Whisk the egg yolks and cream together in a large sauce over a low to medium heat. Add in the cocoa powder, sugar, and flour. Whisk until smooth. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Continue whisking until the pudding coats the back of a spoon. Remember it will thicken as it cools. Stir in the butter until it's completely  melted and the pudding is glossy.

I usually chill mine, but we ate a bit warm last night. Dangerously delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...