- 8 small organic pears, destemmed and halved
- butter for greasing the pans
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup organic dark brown sugar plus 3 Tablespoons for the pans
- 1/2 C maple syrup (I used the cardamom infused Runamok maple syrup)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil (I used the Taggiasca Olive Oil from The Quail & Olive)
- Also needed: three 6" baking pans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cup mascarpone
- 1-1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- juice from one organic lemon (I used a Meyer lemon)
Butter your baking pans (I used three 6" pans) and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon brown sugar over the bottom of each pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In the meantime, swab a skillet with butter and place pears - halved and destemmed - cut-side down in the pan. Let pears cook till the cut surface begins to brown slightly, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
Arrange pears, cut side down on top of the brown sugar in the pans.
Blend all other ingredients to form a batter. Pour over pears. Place in the preheated oven and bake until cake is a deep brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely. In the meantime, make the frosting.
Place all of the ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Beat until well combined and smooth.