- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- two (1-1/2-inch) cinnamon sticks
- two star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon grains of paradise
- 2" knob fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar or more if desired
Place all of the spices and tea in a large saucepan with the water. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Add in the milk. Bring to a simmer again. Remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes to let the flavors infuse. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved.
Pour tea through a fine-mesh sieve; or use a coffee press. I poured my to-go cup that has a built in strainer. Serve hot.