I love this newish group that shares recipes on Sundays. The Sunday Funday blogging group is low stress, just a great group of gals that I am happy to blog alongside. Thanks to Stacy of Food Lust People Love, Sue of Palatable Pastime, Rebekah of Making Miracles, and Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm for coordinating.
For this week's Sunday Funday, Rebekah of Making Miracles is hosting the group holiday side dishes. She wrote: "With Christmas and New Year's just around the corner, what are some of your favorite Holiday meal side dishes you enjoy year after year, or something new you've always wanted to try?"
Here's line-up of holiday side dishes to inspire you...
- Charred Green Beans with Cranberries and Crisped Onions by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken Lapeta by Sneha's Recipe
- Creamed Spinach Gratin by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Festive Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Golden Marquis Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash by Making Miracles
- Sicilian Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Charred Green Beans with Cranberries and Crisped Onions
This is a holiday riff on one of our favorite side dishes: Blistered Green Beans. I added in fresh cranberries for a pop of color. And the best part: this is super simple to make.
Ingredients serves 4
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil + 1 Tablespoon for serving
- 1 pound organic green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- freshly ground salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Also needed: cast iron skillet (I use an enameled cast iron pan) and crisped onions for garnish
Pour 3 Tablespoons olive oil in you pan and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil gets hot enough to spatter, add the beans. Let the beans sit and blister for approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Stir and allow to blister for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Once the beans are blistered to your liking fold in the fresh cranberries and cook until a few of them burst open, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Cover the pot until you are ready to serve.
On a serving platter, drizzle the beans with another Tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with crisped onions. Serve immediately.
That's a wrap on the #SundayFunday side dishes. We'll be back next week when I will be leading the discussion of Holiday Cheese Boards! Stay tuned...