This recipe was created in conjunction with #BurgerMonth 2018.
Thanks to event sponsors for providing prizes for an awesome Grilling Prize Package.
Please follow along at #BurgerMonth to find over 100 fantastic burger recipes.
May is Burger Month. So says our fearless leader, Kita at Girl Carnivore. For the past few years, I've taken part in this burger-palooza that she calls #BurgerMonth. Every year she invites food bloggers to get wild and crazy with the burger creations. Done!
Did I mention the giveaway? Kita wrangled some great companies to bring you a serious grilling package! Go her event page to enter...or see below.
Sticky Hoisin Duck Burgers
I've shared creations making burgers with salmon, lamb, chorizo, and pork. So, I wanted to make a burger made with ground duck. The only problem: when I went to buy ground duck, they were sold out. I picked up boneless duck breasts, instead, and ground them myself in a food processor!
Ingredients serves 4
Sticky Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 C pitted and chopped apricots (you can reconstitute dried apricots, if out of season)
- 3 T honey
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T hoisin sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1" knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- pinch of dried chile flakes
- freshly ground salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 duck breasts
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 t Chinese five-spice powder (make your own)
- 1 t sticky hoisin sauce
- oil for cooking either on a grill or skillet
- 4 Francese rolls or your preferred bun
- cheese, sliced (I used pepper jack)
- onions, caramelized or raw, optional
- crisped mushrooms (HOW TO: Crisp Mushrooms, I used baby portabellos for this), optional
Sticky Hoisin Sauce
Combine the apricots, honey, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, and dried chile flakes in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the apricots are cooked and completely softened, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, then carefully process in a blender or food processor. Strain, if needed, and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make the burger patties, remove the skin from the duck breasts. Place the duck breasts and 1 of the skins in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Transfer the ground duck to a large mixing bowl. Add green onions, cilantro, five-spice powder, and sticky hoisin sauce to the bowl. Use your hand to blend the spices into the meat. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties to fit the Francese rolls.
Grill or cook on the stove to your preferred doneness, brushing a layer of sticky hoisin sauce on each side. Toward the last few minutes of cooking, place cheese slices on top of the burger to melt.
To assemble, open up each piece of bread. You can toast them if you wish. Smear more sticky hoisin sauce on each side. Place the burger on the bun. Top with caramelized or raw onions - your choice! - and crisped mushrooms, if using. Enjoy!
- Weber Grills – Weber Grilling Pack – Weber Tumbler and Weber Grill Hat
- American Lamb Board – Ground lamb, cutting board and apron
- Anolon – Grill Pan & Cutlery
- Cabot Cheese – $25 Cabot Legacy Gift box – Includes eight bars of Cabot Cheddar, cheese knife, and a wine opener. Award-winning cheese brought to you by the 1,000 farm families who own Cabot Creamery Co-operative.
- Melissa’s Produce – Grilling Veggie Box
- Microplane – Herb And Salad Chopper Cheese Shaver
- New York Beef Council – prize packs of beefy grilling-themed goodies
- Red Duck – Gourmet Ketchup Variety
- Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
- Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and grilling gear
1 winner will be drawn for every week of burger month!
All winners will be entered to win a Weber Spirit II E-310 gas grill!
Grand Prize Grill Winner will be announced on June 4th.Week Two Giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway