Skip to main content

Époisses, Crackers, and Crémant de Limoux for #WinePW #sponsor


Wine Pairing Weekend - #winePW - happens on the second Saturday of the month. And this month - February- Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva is hosting. Since it's Valentines' Day, we're talking about Valentine pairings. Click to read her invitation: here.

While I was trying to figure out what I wanted to share, I was approached to create some Valentine wine pairings and inspiration struck.* In the week up to our #winePW event, I shared a different recipe and wine pairing every day. Other bloggers also shared bonus posts this month. What a line-up!


All the #WinePW Inspiration...
Jade from Tasting Pour



Nancy from Pull That Cork


Jennifer from Vino Travels

David of Cooking Chat 

Michelle from RockinRed Blog

Sarah from Curious Cuisiniere

Cindy from Grape Experiences

Lori from Draceana Wines

Diana from Wine Pass

Valerie of Girls Gotta Drink



Chat with Us and Looking Ahead...
Join us for a live Valentine's Wine Pairing Twitter chat at 11 a.m. ET on Saturday, February 13, using the hashtag #winePW. And get ready for the March #winePW, where we will share our Open That Bottle Night experiences. Check out the upcoming and past Wine Pairing Weekend events on this page.

In My Glass...
Before the more well-known sparkling wines - Champagne, Prosecco, and Cava - there was sparkling wine in Limoux, France. In the early 1500s, monks at the St. Hilaire Abbey were producing a semi-sweet sparkling wine from blanquette, the white Mauzac grapes of the region. And like most monastic breweries and wineries, those initial bottles were likely produced by accident.

In fact - well into the 1700s - the bubbles from a secondary, in-bottle, fermentation were even considered a flaw in the wine. Now, they are the goal. Crémant is made by bottling the wine with liqueur de tirage - a syrup made of extra yeast and a small amount of sugar. That sugar is digested by the yeast, creating a bubbly, dry wine.

I poured the Antech Crémant de Limoux Cuvée Emotion 2012. And it was pure deliciousness.


On My Plate...
I fully intended to hand-roll some crackers for this wine-cheese course, but time got away from me. Yes, it happens! So, instead, I'll share some cheese pairing tips for sparkling wines. My rule of thumb: match the weights...

Light & Lively
I'm talking here about fruity, light sparklings such as Proseccos and Cavas. Pair those Mediterannean pours with some blended milk cheeses. One of my favorites is La Tur out of Italy's Piedmont region. It even looks Valentine-y; swaddled in its ruffled paper doily, a petite round of La Tur looks like a creamy, delicious pastry.

Earthy & Buttery
To me, a full-bodied Champagne is often earthy - yeasty, creamy, and on rare occasion a little bit mushroom-y. So, to match that earthiness, I select a yeasty, creamy, mushroom-y cheese such as a camembert. My favorite is a camembert out of Vermont called the Blythedale. It's soft, luscious and has a delicate earthy aroma of forest mushrooms,


The only pairing that I couldn't come up with a catchy, two word description is the one I chose to pair. I always like to pair Washed Rinds with Rosés.
This is sort of a beauty and the beast kinda thing. Époisses de Bourgogne is a cheese made in the village Époisses, and it is a pungent unpasteurized cows' milk cheese. You read pungent, right?!? It downright stinks. But that creamy intensity is mellowed by the light red fruit of a rosé. And the Antech Crémant de Limoux Cuvée Emotion 2012 was just the ticket.


Find Languedoc Wines
on the web (Antech Limoux)
on Twitter

*Disclosure: I did receive sample wines from Benson Marketing Group for the purpose of creating pairings and developing recipes. But no additional compensation was received and opinions are completely my own.

Comments

  1. We had this cheese for the first time when we were in Burgundy and then found some back in the states to pair with wine we brought back home. I like the memories it brings. Thanks for the pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Antech Emotion as part of a weekly sparkling wine series I did a few years ago. Great value!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce