Skip to main content

Cherry-Glazed Chicken with Hahn's 2013 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir #WinePW #sponsor


I have six different dishes and wine pairings for the upcoming holiday ready to share with you. And irony is not lost on me. While I am not a fan of Valentines' Day per se, I am a huge fan of romantic dinners.

So, in this week leading up to #WinePW - which happens the 2nd Saturday of every month - I will post recipes that you and your valentine can enjoy on February 14th and really any time you want a dinner that's a little bit more than your usual. I have everything from shrimp to wild boar and venison to salmon. So, stay tuned! Click to read Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva's invitation to our Saturday #WinePW event.


I wanted to start off with a local-to-me vintner, Hahn Family Wines.* A few years ago, Jake and I had a chance to tour the Hahn vineyards by ATV. Click to read about the ATV tour and about the wine tasting after. What fun!


In the Glass...
Hahn's 2013 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir is a vintage I haven't tried before. But, being the Pinot Noir gal that I am, I knew instantly that I would enjoy it. And I really love that it's completely made with grapes from our local Santa Lucia Highlands. It's 100% Pinot Noir and it's aged in French oak for almost a year.


This wine is both subtle and silky. It's the perfect, sexy pour for a romantic dinner at home. The nose holds distinct notes of cherry, berries, and currant with softer tones of spices such as cardamom. On the palate, it's a velvety soft sip with a smooth finish.


You can purchase it from their website: here.

On the Plate...
I wanted to mirror those alluring flavors of cherry and cardamom, so I decided to create a cherry-cardamom glaze and slather it on a roasted chicken. What a pairing!


Ingredients

  • One 4 to 5 pound chicken (I like Mary's Organic, Air-Chilled Chickens)
  • 4 to 5 lemons
  • olive oil
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 C cherry jam
  • 1/4 C red wine
  • 2 T organic granulated sugar
  • 1 T white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 T ground cardamom
  • Also needed: 100% cotton kitchen twine


Procedure
 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice lemons in half and stuff them into the cavity of the chicken. With the kitchen twine, tie the drumsticks of the chicken together and place in a rimmed baking dish.

Sprinkle the chicken with freshly ground salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover the chicken with foil...or I used a stoneware roasting pan with a stoneware bowl over the top.

Roast at 375 degrees for 75 minutes. While the chicken roasts, make the glaze. Place the cherry jam, red wine, sugar, vinegar, and ground cardamom in a skillet. Bring to a boil and stir till the sugar dissolves completely. Boil until the glaze thickens and reduces by half, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.


When time is up on the chicken, remove the chicken from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Baste the chicken with the juices at the bottom of the pan. Brush the chicken with the glaze and return to the oven.


Return chicken to the oven for 10 minutes. Baste one more time. Spoon the rest of the glaze over the top of the chicken and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.


The chicken skin will be nicely burnished and the drumsticks will pull away from the chicken easily. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving into pieces.

I served the cherry-glazed chicken with coleslaw and steamed purple cauliflower. Delish.


Find Hahn Family Wines
on the web

*Disclosure: I did receive sample wines from Benson Marketing Group - public relations for Hahn Family Wines - for the purpose of creating pairings and developing recipes. But no additional compensation was received and opinions are completely my own.

Comments

  1. Oh my! What fun to tour Hahn by ATV. You live in the best area and I'm very envious!!!

    The wine and roast chicken with that cherry glaze sound like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you found time for all these recipes when you were busy creating and hosting for Fresh Tasty Valentines. You constantly amaze me Cam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! You got to visit Hahn as well as enjoy their wine. I enjoyed this Pinot too. I like your pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We adored the Hahn Pinot also. It was a fantastic wine. That looks like an amazing recipe. Probably well beyond my skills! Will have to pass that one on to Mike! (I'll just drink more wine while he cooks)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camilla, great job with the sauce on the chicken and wine pairing! I'm salivating right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the title and thought right off the bat the pairing sounding perfect without even trying the wine. The cherry glaze seems like it could probably match some wines well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce