Skip to main content

Carmel Belle's Autumn Pop-Up {Tasting Notes}


Earlier this week Jake and I headed to a local museum, Monterey Museum of Art - La Mirada, to attend their Autumn Pop-Up Dinner. Chef Kyle of Carmel Belle created a delicious, seasonal dinner. And before we were invited in to the community table, we tasted Figge Wines on the patio. Peter Figge, then, paired his wines with each of Kyle's courses.

First: Tomato Gazpacho
This dish was as artistic as it was delicious. I had sneaked into the room to say hello to Kyle and saw him plating - do you still call it that, if it's a bowl?!? - these. A dollop of crème fraîche topped with fresh tomatoes, torn basil leaves, and a Jackson Pollock-esque splatter of balsamic vinegar.


Once we were all seated, servers, including Carmel Belle owner Jay Dolata, came around and poured a pool of ruddy gazpacho over the crème fraîche. Jay even did the slow-motion pour for me to take a photo.

It was so fresh, if I were at home, I would have grabbed a second bowl. But I knew, from looking at the menu, that I needed to save space for the remaining courses. 

Figge paired this course with his Pelio Chardonnay. While it had a distinct lushness, it boasted a perfect balance of citrus and crisp apple with a softer toasted grain.  



Second: Grilled Summer Beans
This dish had such a range of textures and flavors. From the still-crisp beans that were lightly charred to the luscious, creamy burrata and the agrodolce bite of the balsamic reduction to the crisped shallots scattered over the top,  I think that it was my favorite course of the evening. Maybe. It was definitely one of my favorites if not the favorite.


Figge hit another homerun on this pairing as well. The beans were accompanied by Figge's Pelio Pinot Noir. A note of smoke complemented the char on the beans, the deep berry aromas highlighted the sweetness of the shallots, and the healthy level of spice on the tongue played well against the tang of the balsamic reduction.


Third: Braised Lamb
Lamb plus caponata. Tender hunks of lamb in a tomato-eggplant-olive blanket. Need I say more? 

Figge poured his Syrah from Arroyo Seco for this course. Like the dish, the wine was big, slightly fruity, but with an underlying acidity that felt simultaneously rich and fresh.


Fourth: Strawberry Shortcake
For the final course, my gluten-free date excused himself from the table and went to check messages. Not having much of a sweet tooth, I didn't think I'd be tempted to eat his portion. But I barely refrained from reaching my fork over to his plate. Barely.


The Carmel Belle's Autumn Pop-Up was a parade of utter deliciousness from Chef Kyle whose dishes were expertly paired with wines from Figge Cellars. The marriage of food, wine, and art always make for a wonderful date night. I can't wait till their next pop-up dinner.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...