Skip to main content

Porter-Braised Shredded Pork Sliders {Cooking with Beer}


While I'm working on a story, the subject invades every aspect of my life - from the jewelry I'm wearing to the books I'm reading. So, beer has been on my mind.

I got my hands on The Craft Beer Cookbook by Jacquelyn Dodd and started making a grocery list. I started with her Porter-Braised Pulled Pork Sandwiches with IPA Jalapeno Slaw. Her recipe called for 6 cloves of garlic; my attitude - if 6 is good, 10 is better! And she used pork shoulder; I had pork loin roast.

Ingredients

  • 2-3 pound pork loin roast
  • 10 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 2 T sea salt
  • 2 T organic coconut sugar
  • 1 t freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 t smoked paprika
  • 2 t ground coffee
  • 1/2 t chili powder
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 bottle porter beer
  • 1 C organic chicken broth

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Using a sharp knife, pierce the roast, making ten 2" holes evenly spaced throughout the meat. Push a peeled clove of garlic into each hole until the garlic is no longer visible.


Mix the salt, coconut sugar, black pepper, smoked paprika, coffee, and chili powder together in a small bowl. Rub the spices over the surface of the pork.

In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until it's hot but not smoking. Sear the pork on all sides, about 2 minutes on each side.


Move the meat to an oven-proof baking dish. In a medium saucepan, bring the beer and chicken broth to a simmer. Pour the liquid over the meat. Cover and place in the oven. Turn the meat every 30 to 45 minutes. If the liquid evaporates, add extra broth or hot water. Cook until the meat is tender and falling apart, approximately 3 to 4 hours.


Once it's cooked, pull it apart into shreds. I like to use two forks. Stir in some of the cooking liquid to keep it moist and juicy.


To serve, spoon some of the meat into a roll. Top with slaw and dinner is served!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...