Skip to main content

Caldo Gallego


This simple dish is a testament to the fact that if you start with good ingredients, your food will sparkle. I started with Blue Coco River beans from Coke Farm, onions and celery from the farmers' market, and added in some organic chicken stock and chorizo. The boys helped me schlep our goodies at the market before we started cooking.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound Blue Coco River beans, prepared
  • 13 oz chorizo, cut of out its casing and into thin coins (I used Silva Sausage's chorizo)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 6 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 6 C organic chicken stock
  • 1 C fresh tomato puree
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 T fresh oregano, chopped


Procedure
In a large souppot, cook the onion, celery, and chorizo sliced until the onions turn translucent. Add in beans, chicken stock, and tomato puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 3 hours, stirring every so often to keep the beans from sticking to the bottom. Season to taste with salt and pepper; add in the oregano. Cook for another 30 minutes uncovered at a boil to thicken the soup a bit. Serve hot with slices of bread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...