- 3 to 4 ounces smoked trout
- 3 ounces mascarpone cheese
- milk, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared white horseradish, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, snipped or chopped plus more for garnish
- freshly ground salt, to taste (my trout was salty enough without any more)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Also needed: crackers or flatbreads for serving
Remove the skin from the fish and discard. Crumble or flake the smoked fish into a small mixing bowl.
Gently fold in the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. As I mentioned, mine was plenty salty from the curing brine. But I did add in some freshly ground pepper.
Spoon the paté into a serving bowl and sprinkle chives on top. Serve immediately with crackers or flatbread.
If not serving right away, refrigerate the paté, but take it out about 30 minutes ahead of time so it can come to room temperature which will make spreading onto crackers easier.