Skip to main content

Oven-Roasted Trout with Citrus Salsa Crudo + 2017 Lunaria "Civitas" Pecorino #ItalianFWT


This month Lynn of Savor the Harvest has the Italian Food Wine Travel bloggers exploring Pecorino. You can read her invitation here. All of the groups' posts will go live between Friday, May 3rd and Saturday, May 4th. Also, if you are reading this early enough, you can join us for a live Twitter chat on Saturday, May 4th at 8am Pacific time. Follow the hashtag #ItalianFWT and use it to join in...or just search for it, afterwards, to view the posts. Cin cin.

The Pecorino Posts

In My Glass

So, if you follow my blog at all, you know how much I adore cheese. And pecorino is one of my favorites. I love that salty, barnyardy, sheep's milk cheese grated over pasta. But I had no idea that Pecorino was a wine varietal. Did you? I love learning new things.

Native to the central Italian region of Marche, it's said that the sugar-heavy grape was dubbed Pecorino because of its appeal to the woolly animals. I didn't have time to track down the veracity of that claim, but it's a nice story.

When, Lynn revealed the theme for the month, I immediately started digging and came up with two different bottles. I found a 2017 Lunaria "Civitas" Pecorino and a 2016 DeAngelis Pecorino. I opted to highlight the former because it's a Demeter-certified wine and we've been exploring biodynamic wines in several of our wine groups. For those events, I shared, respectively: Dinner in Testosterone Land: Braised Short Ribs + 2016 Nuova Cappelletta Barbera del Monferrato and Learning about Biodynamic Wines + M.Chapoutier Wines with Some Cross-Cultural Pairings. April's #WinePW theme was biodynamic wines of the world and I shared Seabass Agli Agrumi + Wine from America's First Demeter-Certified Biodynamic Winery.


I'll be honest, I appreciate learning about biodynamic practices and I truly respect wineries that are following those practices - whether they get the certifications or not - but the designation is not a guarantee of a "good" wine, in my mind.


A 100% Pecorino wine, this poured straw yellow with an intense nose. I got hints of straw with crisp green apple and piquant lime. On the palate it was intense and surprisingly full-bodied for a white wine. At a retail price of $15, it's a great find and will definitely be on our Summer table often!

On My Plate

When a friend gives you fish, you shouldn't ask where the head is. I know, I know, but my inner Filipino just popped out. When Brian brought me trout, I made Oven-Roasted Trout with Citrus Salsa Crudo and poured the Pecorino. It was all super tasty and, even better, super easy!

Oven-Roasted Trout with Citrus Salsa Crudo
serves 6

Ingredients
Fish
  • 3 whole trout
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • organic mint leaves
  • organic lime leaves
  • organic lime wedges or slices
  • Makrut lime leaf-infused olive oil, or use plain olive oil with a squeeze of lime juice in it
  • Also needed: parchment paper-lined baking sheet
Citrus Salsa Crudo
  • 1/2 C organic kumquats, quartered
  • 1/2 C organic blood orange, diced with peel on
  • 1/4 C organic fresh mint leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • juice from 1 lime
  • Makrut lime leaf-infused olive oil, or use plain olive oil with a squeeze of lime juice in it


Procedure
Lay your fish on a parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Sprinkle the inside cavity of the fish with salt and pepper. Place the lime slices, lime leaves, and mint leaves along the inside. You can secure the fish with a toothpick or twine. I just folded it closed and placed it on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.


Place some lime slices on the top. Then sprinkle the outside of the fish with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes - until the flesh is opaque and the skin is browned and crisped. In the meantime, make your salsa crudo.


Citrus Salsa Crudo
Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well-chopped and combined. Add in more lime juice and olive oil if it's too dry. 


Once the fish is done, serve it immediately with the salsa on the side. I also served this dinner with roasted potatoes and blanched asparagus with a blood orange vinaigrette.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great pairing...the oven-roasted trout sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dish reminds me of the way they serve fish in Italy. I gotta admit it always freaks me out a little to see a whole fish come on a plate ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I'm bringing my husband around - slowly - to eating whole fish. This recipe looks like a good way to accelerate the process. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always fried or grilled trout - never oven-roasted! Now I must! Thank you so much for the recipe and of course, the Pecorino will be an amazing pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dish sounds great with Pecorino. I had to smile, the preparation made me think of "open face fish in parchment"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, CĂ©sar, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaĂ®tre Bonhome' VirĂ©-ClessĂ©. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce