- Balsamic Three Bean Salad by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Berry Ice Box Cake by Back To My Southern Roots
- Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
- Caesar Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Brie by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Carrot Habanero Hot Sauce and Blue Cheese by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Halloumi Over Hummus by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Steak with Guajillo Pepper Chimichurri by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Homemade Watermelon Lemonade by Daily Dish Recipes
- Lemon Dill Tortellini Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- London Broil Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Parsley Chive Butter for Steaks by Family Around the Table
- Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce by Food Above Gold
- Watermelon Mint Moscow Mule by Sweet Beginnings
Grilled Halloumi Over Hummus
Whenever the grill comes out for the season, I head to the cheese case and pick up a log of halloumi. Halloumi originated in Cyprus, during the Medieval Byzantine period, and gained popularity throughout the Middle East region. The cheese is often used in cooking and can be fried or grilled until brown without melting, owing to its higher-than-normal melting point. during the summer months Cypriots eat it, grilled, with watermelon.
Since it's not quite watermelon season here, I opted for an appetizer of grilled halloumi over hummus served with toast points, capers, and pickled red onions. I just like to have a mixture of textures and flavors. In this case the halloumi is salty, hummus creamy, pickled onions tart. It's savory heaven.
- 1/2 lb Haloumi cheese, sliced into blocks
- 2 T olive oil
- oil for grill (pan)
- Also needed: a grill or grill pan
- hummus (store-bought or homemade*)
- toasted baguette slices
- pickled red onions (one version here)
*Hummus is a family favorite though my younger son is sensitive to garbanzo beans. But that's another story. So, here are some of our favorite versions: Roasted Beet Hummus, Roasted Carrot Hummus, Beluga Lentil Hummus, and Cauliflower Hummus.
Heat grill or grill pan and rub with oil.
Place cheese on the grill. Use a metal spatula to scrape under the cheese before turning. Turn until evenly browned, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
To serve, place a dollop of hummus on a serving plate. Arrange grilled halloumi on top. Serve with toasted baguette slices, capers, and pickled red onions.