Skip to main content

Jarred Salad Matrix #NationalSaladMonth #FestiveFoodies


This month, Kate of Kate's Recipe Box invited the Festive Foodies to shared salad recipes in honor of National Salad Month. What a great event, especially as so many fresh fruits and vegetables are coming into season. I was in. Immediately.

The Festive Foodies' Salad Bar

Jarred Salad Matrix
I decided to share, not exactly a recipe but, a matrix. This is an easy way to layer a salad into a mason jar. Nothing gets soggy and you have a healthy, colorful lunch for later in the day. It's my go-to lunch and is limited only by your imagination! Just remember to build from the bottom up.


 Layer One: salad dressing. I use 2 to 4 T dressing.


Layer Two: hardy vegetables. These are vegetables that won't get soggy or soak up the dressing before you're ready. I like carrots, red bell peppers, sugar snap peas, or jicama.


Layer Three: softer vegetables and grains. These are vegetables that would get soggy and soak up the dressing. I like cucumbers, corn, avocados. This is where I would put steamed quinoa or brown rice.


Layer Four: greens. This is whatever you want to use - kale, lettuce, herbs, spinach. Get creative.


Layer Five: proteins. This is the layer that fills you up. Think nuts, cheese, grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, pressed tofu, and cooked beans or legumes.


 Press down on the layers to reduce air and wilting. Put a lid on and place in the fridge until you're ready to eat. To serve, simply dump the whole things into a bowl.


 Toss and enjoy.

Comments

  1. I love the trick of putting the dressing on the bottom. Nothing gets soggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the layers! I make shaker salads which are similar but your version sounds easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a helpful guide! Easily adaptable into so many great salads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea putting the dressing in the bottom so you don't have to take an extra container with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loveee jarred salads like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to start making these for work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...