Skip to main content

HOW TO: Make a Jam Glaze


Tonight my mom made and sent over dinner for my birthday. She made roasted pork tenderloin, barley, and a green salad.


What does this have to do with making a jam glaze? you ask. 

Well, she also sent over a plain white cheesecake. Plain. White. Cheesecake.

R quipped, "Mamma, we're so proud of you that you didn't make your own birthday cake this year!"

While I was grateful that my birthday dessert was taken care of, I wanted to fancy it up a little bit. So, I whipped up a jam glaze with Friend in Cheeses Jam Co.'s brand new Prickly Purple Heart Jam and topped it all with some edible flowers I had on-hand.  Happy birthday to me!!


This recipe is more of a procedure. Use whatever jam or jelly you have. Use any liquid you want, even liqueurs would be fantastic.


Ingredients


Procedure
Place the jam and liquid - either simple syrup or water - in a small skillet. Heat until the jam is melted and loosened into a sauce. Simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before pouring over whatever you're glazing. If you want it to set quickly, stick it in the fridge for a few minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...