Skip to main content

Recipe Testing: Radish Sashimi for Food52


I signed up to test a recipe for Food52: Radish Sashimi by Alexandra of Lollipopsicle. Alexandra writes that "this recipe is a fun lil’ play on Japanese sashimi [because she likes] to prepare produce like you would animal protein."

I have to admit that, initially, I wasn't sure I agreed with the recipe title. Sashimi? When I think of sashimi, I think more of this...


...than this...


But, I think that 'sashimi' refers to the fact that it's thinly sliced not so much that it's fish. So, if that's the case, this is radish sashimi. And, as Alexandria suspected, I was entranced with this dish. It was ridiculously simple with a refreshing crunch and surprising silkiness. I did skip the sugar - only because I forgot about it; we didn't miss it. And we will be making this dish again. Probably tomorrow.


Ingredients serves 3 to 4

  • 1 bunch organic radishes
  • 2 T gluten-free tamari
  • 2 t olive oil
  • zest and juice from 1 organic lime
  • 1 to 2 t fresh herbs, finely chopped


Procedure
Wash and dry radishes. Slice radishes on the thinnest setting of a mandolin. Place them on a serving plate. Drizzle with tamari, olive oil, and lime juice. Sprinkle with lime zest and fresh herbs. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...