Skip to main content

Roasted Flank Steak with Goat Cheese and Caperberries + La Marea 2012 Mourvèdre for #winePW #OTBN


Wine Pairing Weekend - #winePW - happens on the second Saturday of the month. And this month David from Cooking Chat is hosting a recap of what we opened for Open That Bottle Night (OTBN)*. Click to read his invitation: here.

*Note OTBN was on February 28. Today, we’re sharing what we uncorked and what we paired with it.

I had never heard of OTBN before this year. The idea is that you open a special bottle that you've been squirreling away for one reason or another. If you've been saving a special bottle for an equally special occasion, here's your excuse!

It just so happened that I was in Paso Robles with my friends and my husband - exploring Halter Ranch Vineyards - for that day and everyone else seemed to know about the event! People in the tasting room were buzzing about what they planned to open, and pair, that evening. It was inspiring.


In My Glass

Almost a year ago I interviewed a local-to-me winemaker named Ian Brand who was named by Wine Enthusiast Magazine to its "40 Under 40: American Tastemakers" in 2012. It took me until just recently to track down some of his wines. So, I knew that one of his is what was destined for my #OTBN wineglass. I decided to open his La Marea 2012 Mourvèdre.


Mourvèdre is primarily a blending grape - it's the 'M' in GSM blends - but is increasingly being bottled on its own. And it's one that has definitely caught my eye...and my tongue. It's plush. Well, this one is. I might need to track down a few more bottles. Just to be sure.

Luscious. That's the first word that came to mind when I stuck my nose in the glass. There are hints of berries with a contrast of pepper and sage. This Mourvèdre is richly structured with nuances of floral chaos. Don't get me wrong, I like chaos...I just mean that I couldn't decide - in identifying a floral note - between rose or violet. It definitely has a personality. I thought it would hold up nicely against a robust roasted meat. And it did.

In the Middle of the Plate 

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 pound flank steak
  • 1 T ground coffee
  • 1 T unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 t ground smoked paprika
  • 1 t ground paprika
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • 3 T organic dark brown sugar
  • splash of oil for searing 
  • 1/4 C beef stock
  • 1/4 C brewed coffee
  • goat cheese for garnish, I used discs of Laura Chenel Chevre
  • caperberries for garnish
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper

Procedure
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub the flank steak with the mixture of the coffee, cocoa, paprikas, cumin, and sugar, making sure that you coat the entire surface of the meat. Set aside. Heat a splash of oil in your pan and, then, sear the meat on both sides - approximately 2 minutes on each side. Pour in the beef stock and coffee. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Place the meat in a rimmed baking dish. Pour the stock-coffee mixture over the top.


Cover the dish, and place in the pre-heated oven. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from the oven and let stand  for 10 minutes before cutting steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.

To serve, place slices on a plate. Top with a medallion of goat cheese. Scatter with halved caperberries. And sprinkle with freshly ground salt and freshly ground pepper.

Suggested sides: roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus. I kept the flavors simple to let the focus remain on the meat and the wine.



Wine Pairing Weekend #10 Bloggers
Be sure to check out what my fellow bloggers have come up with for the March Wine Pairing Weekend!




Join the #winePW conversation: 
Follow the #winePW conversation on Twitter throughout the weekend and beyond. If you're reading this early enough, you can join us for a live Twitter chat on our theme "Open That Bottle Night" on Saturday, March 14, from 11 a.m. to noon Eastern Time.

And that's a Wrap...
...on our March #winePW event. My pairing was delicious! I'll pin this recipe and other posts on my #winePW pinterest board. David, our host, also has a Wine Pairing Weekend pinterest boardStay tuned for the April Wine Pairing Weekend, which will be hosted by Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm. More details to come...but put April 11th on your calendar if you want to join the fun.

If you can't find La Marea 2012 Mourvèdre, swap out for any Mourvèdre. And if you try this pairing - or just the wine - I would love to hear what you think. Comment below or tweet to me at @Culinary_Cam.

Comments

  1. Yum, perfect pairing. I will have to keep my eye out for this varietal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...love Moved Cam! If you haven't tried a Rosé made with mostly Moved, check it out TCV Dianthus, or Tercero makes one that's (I think) 100% Moved. They tend to be a bit more full-bodied as Rosés go. And I know it was a great pairing with your flank steak. Isn't OTBN fun?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun. But not as fun as your dinner looked!! I will track down some of those wines.

      Delete
  3. You had me at goat cheese. Love Mourvedre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that! It was the same thing I was going to say. I love goat cheese and mourvedre can be nice wines as well.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious. I love Mourvèdre, it plays well with others and makes especially wonderful Rosé too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin just mentioned a Mourvèdre Rosé. I'll take a look.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful pairing! It wounds like a delicious wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to stop reading your posts when I'm hungry. Enjoyed your description of the wine, one look for. Like your recipe for the Flank Steak. Hmm...I have some coffee beans in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the BEST food blogger compliment. Ever. Thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce