Skip to main content

Panzanella Primavera for #SundaySupper

I love Spring, especially the produce. It's so fresh and hopeful. So, when I saw that the #SundaySupper crew was celebrating with a Spring Fling, I was in. Immediately. I wanted to showcase some of the beautiful Spring produce that we can get at this time on California's central coast in a Spring-y version of panzanella, a traditional Italian bread salad.


It was the first week of our CSA plus we spent the day at a different farm today. So, it was the perfect time for me to make this Panzanella Primavera. I had fresh green garlic, asparagus, and fennel; our Meyer lemon tree is going crazy, so we're swimming in those gorgeous, fragrant citrus. Pronto al tavolo!

Ingredients

  • 2 C cubed bread
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 t olive oil + more for drizzing
  • 1 green garlic stalk, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 C asparagus cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 small fennel bulb, shaved on a mandolin
  • 1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped
  • zest of one organic Meyer lemon
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 t freshly squeezed lemon juice


Procedure
In a large flat-bottom skillet, melt butter in a splash of olive oil. Add in your green garlic and saute until fragrant and beginning to soften. Toss in the bread cubes and cook until toasted and crisp. Stir in the asparagus and cook for a minute or two until the color brightens. Fold in the shaved fennel and 1/4 C parsley. Cook quickly till the fennel is just wilted.

Plate your panzanella. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley, lemon zest, freshly ground salt, and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.

Serve immediately.


What the rest of the crew brought to the Spring Fling...
Beverages
Appetizers
Sides
EntreƩs
Desserts
Sunday Supper Movement

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Comments

  1. Now that is one awesome salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome Cam and I am so jealous that your CSA is already open.....I have to wait until June....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dare I mention that our CSA is year-round? It's bi-weekly during the winter, but our farmers markets are year-round, so I can always find something fresh and locally-grown.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! A great Spring addition to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the idea of a spring panzanella! It looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great salad. It celebrates spring and is hearty enough for a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Panzanella salad is so versatile!! Love the spring twist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a panzanella salad and it is perfect for spring with the asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a spring version of panzanella! Thank you for sharing and showing off California's bounty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this salad. Asparagus is my favourite vegetable so when it is in season I go a little crazy over it. Need to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. California vegetables are a little ahead of what we have here in Canada ... but this gives me something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love panzanella salads, there so versatile and this one looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diana @DandelionGreensBlogMarch 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM

    Wow, jealous that you have a lemon tree :-) And what a lovely combination of flavors... especially love the fennel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I've never had panzanella salad before. I've gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this delicious variation on Panzanella!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Panzanella is one of my favorite salads in the whole world. I make them year round with whatever is fresh. This is a wonderful Spring dish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at panzanella!

    -Julie @ Texan New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  17. Full on delish! I can't wait to make this for a Summer gathering. I know my guests will LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the concept of this dish. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know why, but panzanella salads have always weirded me out. Bread - good. Veggies - good. Especially asparagus! I just might have to give yours a try, Cam.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaƮtre Bonhome' VirƩ-ClessƩ #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, CĆ©sar, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaĆ®tre Bonhome' VirĆ©-ClessĆ©. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce