Skip to main content

Stranger than Fiction's Dark Chocolate Macadamia Wedges {Food'N'Flix}


Food‘nFlixDeb from Kahakai Kitchen is hosting this month's Food'N'Flix. And we are watching, or rewatching as the case may be, Stranger than FictionClick to see Deb's invitation.

from imdb.com
This was a surprisingly charming film with a rockstar cast. I was more than a little surprised to see Will Ferrell depart from his usual goofball character and display some dramatic acting chops. Maggie Gyllenhaal was fantastic. And Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, and Queen Latifah all sparkled in their roles - not like disco ball sparkly, but crystal vase sparkly. Elegant and subdued. Impressive.

My husband Jake claimed that I have seen the movie before. It didn't seem familiar. However, I am guilty of renting movies, popping them in, and getting distracted with a multitude of projects while he sits and watches it. So, this time, I shut down my laptop, placed my beads out of reach, and didn't stick anything in the oven that needed babysitting.

I'm not going to give away too much of the movie. Will Ferrell plays Harold Crick, a staid taxman whose mundane existence is upended when he begins to hear his life being narrated by a voice that only he can hear. The narrator Kay Eiffel - played Emma Thompson -, is an author struggling to complete her latest book. She is completely unaware that her protagonist is alive and uncontrollably guided by her words. Fiction and real life collide when Harold hears the Narrator announce that events have been set in motion that will lead to his imminent death. Another layer of the story: a romance. Harold - remember he works for the IRS? - is auditing intentionally tax delinquent baker Ana Pascal, played by Maggie Gyllenhaal.

from imdb.com

And if you're watching this for the foodie side of things, there is the scene. The cookie scene. Harold asks Ana why she became a baker. She tells him she was on track to be a lawyer.

I was barely accepted [to law school]. I mean, barely. The only reason they let me come was because of my essay: "How I was going to make the world a better place with my degree." 

And anyway, we would have to participate in these study sessions, my classmates and I, sometimes all night long. And so I baked so no one would go hungry while we worked. Sometimes I'd bake all afternoon in the kitchen, in the dorm, and then I'd bring my little treats to the study groups and people loved them. 

I made oatmeal cookies... peanut butter bars...dark chocolate macadamia nut wedges, and everyone would eat and stay happy and study harder and do better on the test and more and more people started coming to the study groups and I'd bring more snacks and I was always looking for better and better recipes until soon it was ricotta cheese and apricot croissants and mocha bars with a almond glaze and lemon chiffon cake with zesty peach icing. 

And at the end of the semester I had twenty seven study partners, eight Mead journals filled with recipes and a D average. So I dropped out. I just figured if I was going to make the world a better place I would do it with cookies.

Making the world a better place with cookies? Sounds like a plan. Everyone always smiles when they eat a homemade cookie, right?!? I watched that scene half a dozen times - making sure that I got all the cookies she named written down. Then I looked at the list and tried to figure out what I wanted to make. In the end, I picked her dark chocolate macadamia wedges. Mainly because I'd never made anything like them before. Here goes...

Dark Chocolate Macadamia Nut Wedges
inspired by Stranger than Fiction - for Food'N'Flix, March 2014


Ingredients
The Crust

  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 C whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 C organic granulated sugar
  • 3/4 C cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2 eggs

The Filling

  • 1 C organic dark brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1 C butter
  • 1/2 C honey (I used a local pine honey)
  • 2-1/2 C dry roasted, unsalted macadamia nuts
  • 1-1/2 C dry roasted, unsalted hazelnuts
  • 1/4 C whipping cream
  • 1/2 t lemon extract
The Finishing Touches
  • 2 C semisweet chocolate chunks
  • 1 T butter
  • fleur de sel

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line the bottom of a baking dish with parchment paper and grease the paper. Place flours, sugar, and butter in a large mixing bowl and, using a pastry cutter, but the butter into the mixture until it has the consistency of coarse crumbs. Add eggs and press the dough together until it forms a ball. Press the dough into the prepared baking dish. Bake 15-18 minutes, until edges are lightly golden. Cool on cooling rack and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

In large saucepan, heat brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and honey over medium heat until butter melts. Raise heat to high and boil for 2-3 minutes - until a caramel forms.


Remove from heat. Fold in nuts, whipping cream and lemon extract. Pour filling over the pre-baked crust.


Bake 45-50 minutes or until filling is set around the edges. The center might still jiggle slightly. Cool completely. I left ours overnight.


To finish...slice the 'pie' into wedges and temper your chocolate for dipping.


Place 1 C of chocolate chunks in a pan and heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in the other C of chocolate chunks. Heat the chocolate again until melted and smooth.

Dip your wedges into the chocolate. I chose to do only half of them. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the wedges with fleur de sel for garnish. Let chocolate set. Serve with a glass of cold milk!

Next month, we'll be watching girlichef's pick - Kung Fu Panda. My boys will be happy to help me brainstorm for a dish to make.

Comments

  1. These bars look so decadent and wonderful--I love that crust. Of course I would go for the dark chocolate-dipped ones with the fleur de sel on top. ;-) Yum!

    I'm so glad you liked the movie and actually got a chance to sit down and relax watching it. ;-) Will Ferrell does do a great job. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Deb. I really wouldn't have picked to watch that movie otherwise and it was a gem.

      Delete
  2. These look delish! I have never made anythng quite like this before either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, they were delicious...and didn't last very long in my house.

      Delete
  3. Classy looking cookies/ wedges. I loved that monologue in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I think that monologue made the movie! ;)

      Delete
  4. I did miss the Macadamia Nut Wedges in the movie. OMG yours look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely something that stuck in my mind. And it's funny that three of us made it for Food'N'Flix. But I loved everyone's take on this movie!

      Delete
  5. Your recipe was really what I was aiming for! Looks so delicious and I think that is what Ana made for her study groups (more so than my adaptation). Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. I'm sure yours was fabulous as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce