Skip to main content

Pomegranate Molasses

The Many Faces of Molasses
Last year some friends attended the Party in the Hangar and gave me a bottle of chardonnay molasses for the holidays. And despite molasses being an edible by-product, it adds such depth to my gingerbread goodies - Guinness Gingerbread Cake, Pumpkin Gingerbread Cupcakes, and more! - that I turn a blind eye; besides it has lots of good things in it: calcium, potassium, iron, and folic acid.

During our Cooking Around the World Adventure, I've seen mention of pomegranate molasses in several Middle Eastern recipes. But I've never seen pomegranate molasses for sale anywhere...not here anyway. So, I decided to make some. I followed this recipe.


Admittedly, it looks a little like cough syrup. But the taste. Oh, my goodness! Rich, tart, sweet, and mysterious. I can't wait to do something exotic with this. I'm thinking about glazing a rack of lamb. Or drizzling it over roasted brussel sprouts...or both.

The Recipe
4 C pomegranate juice
1/2 C raw turbinado sugar
1/4 C Meyer lemon juice

In an uncovered saucepan, heat pomegranate juice, turbinado sugar, and Meyer lemon juice on medium high until the sugar has dissolved and the juice simmers. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately an hour, or until the juice has the consistency or syrup and has reduced to 1 - 1-1/4 cups. Pour out into a jar. Let cool. Store chilled in the refrigerator.

Stay tuned for my pomegranate molasses creations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...