Skip to main content

Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Gummy Brains #FoodNFlix


This month Kimberly, from Coffee and Casseroles, is hosting this month's edition of #FoodNFlix.

And she has asked us to post a recipe inspired by any Tim Burton movie. Read her invitation: here. Burton's body of work is pretty vast and spans many years - from Pee-wee's Big Adventure in 1985 to 2019's Dumbo. 

We watched Beetlejuice for #FoodNFlix in October 2016 when I posted Spooky Juice. I probably watched Edward Scissorhands when it originally came out; and I am certain that we watched Planet of the Apes when it was released in 2001 because Jake's cousin was one of the apes!

Still, I am not much of a Tim Burton fan. Or I guess I should say that I haven't seen many of his movies. But I was intrigued to start watching last month to prepare for this. Thankfully our local library has a healthy selection in the system and I was able to check out several DVDs - for free!


I watched Corpse Bride but didn't make anything from that. Odd though because I think I enjoyed Corpse Bride the most of all the movies I watched for this event! I popped in Alice in Wonderland and did make some cupcakes that would be a tasty addition to a Mad Hatter's tea party. But on to Mars Attacks! which is my inspiration for this post.

On the Screen

No matter what I did, I couldn't convince any of my guys to watch any of the movies with me. R flipped through the DVD cases and commented, "Mom, these look really weird. I have homework to do." D wasn't much more open to the idea, Is this the same guy who made Coraline? I said yes. Turns out that wasn't accurate. But D was not willing to come back. Coraline creeped me out, Mom. I'm going to work in the garden. And Jake just said he didn't think I would enjoy the movies and had work to do. So, I was on my own.

Mars Attacks! reminded me of a mid-century B-movie. The movie opens with a herd of flaming cattle, running down a country lane. Why were they on fire? I wondered. Then we see the first of the movie's many flying saucers, perfect imitations of those blurry UFO images. Earth is soon under attack from a vast fleet of martian invaders, and the President, played by Jack Nicholson, takes advice from a few of the many A-listers in the film: Glenn Close is First Lady, Pierce Brosnan is his scientific adviser, and there's more. Annette Bening, Danny DeVito, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michael J. Fox, and a young Natalie Portman all make appearances; Tom Jones plays himself. And despite what the actual Burton budget was, the entire movie feels cheap and silly. The martian ray guns look like painted water guns that you can buy at Target.  But there's not much to redeem this movie, in my opinion. It's a throwback to tacky old alien movies - not even a witty parody, just a crazy replica of the genre.

So, I tried. I checked out five Tim Burton movies from the library. I made it through three and a half of them. And I made two recipes. I think I'm calling it 'good' for this month's Food'N'Flix event. Sorry, Kimberly. I'm just not a fan. But I do appreciate being pushed out of my usual genre for a few hours.

On the Plate

Still I did head into the kitchen to make some gummy brains! You know - from the brain disintegrator scene...and the DVD cover. And I made them blue with blue butterfly pea flower powder.

  • 1/2 C water
  • 1 to 2 t blue butterfly pea flower powder
  • 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
  • 2 T organic granulated sugar
  • also needed: brain mold
Procedure

In a small saucepan, pour your water and whisk in the sugar and blue butterfly pea flower powder till dissolved. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let sit for at least 5 minutes. Not all of the gelatin will absorb the liquid beneath; that's okay.

After five minutes, heat the mixture over a low to medium heat until the gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is thickened and clear. You can pour directly into the mold from the saucepan, if you like. I don't trust my neatness without a spout, so I transferred the mixture to a measuring cup.


Pour the mixture into the molds. You can pour all the way to the top, since it doesn't expand. Place the mold on a flat tray and put them in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes.

 They should pop out easily. If they don't put them back in the freezer for a few more minutes.


*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

Comments

  1. I have never heard of blue butterfly pea flower powder before, but I like what you did with it. I think you kicked it out of the park on this one, and two recipes on top of it! I'm glad you did decide to join in even if the movies weren't your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun (and I’ve been wanting to try blue butterfly pea for a while)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave it a good shot Cam. I was surprised how much I loved the movie I chose to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mars Attacks is a true cult favorite. Hilarious! I love the brains and the cupcakes. I agree Burton is a love him or hate him kind of director. I love quirky so I'm in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce