Skip to main content

Balancing Preparedness and Staving Off Panic-Buying


Unless you live in a cave, you have likely been bombarded daily with stories on social media, on the news, and in person of what you need to have on-hand as the world prepares to self-quarantine and ride out this global spread of coronavirus and the ensuing COVID-19 disease.

I, myself, am trying to balance being prepared for hunkering down for an extended period of time and staving off panic-buying. I am not a person who is prone to panic. That is a double-edged sword, I know. And the past week has certainly challenged me to re-evaluate my mindset.

I learned to cook in Italy where electricity is expensive and refrigerators are tiny. I went to the markets in my neighborhood every single day and only bought what I needed for dinner that evening and breakfast and lunch the following day. When I moved home from Rome and met Jake, he was constantly making fun of me that we had a whole refrigerator and I could buy food for more than one day. That was twenty-two years ago and I am better. But not much.

I still frequent farmers' markets weekly, belong to CSAs (community supported agriculture), and have very little in my pantry besides a bag of rice and some other grains. I go to the butcher's counter at the store and pick up just what I plan to cook in the next day or two.

Save for a year-old bottle of organic vodka from the Netherlands, two pig's feet that I am saving for ramen broth, and some ice packs, my freezer is usually empty. I have two jars of cuttlefish ink and one of caviar, but no jars of peanut butter. I have dried organic rose petals and dried seaweed, but no dried pasta.

Last week, however, I went shopping for an entire week. I posted the photo above and got comments from friends that I might need to fill that up a little more. "More coffee," suggested one friend. I have three bags you can't see on the door. "More ice cream," said another. Yes! My family agrees.



This afternoon a friend ran to Whole Foods and texted me to see if I needed anything. He just dropped off supplies for me to make some pasta e fagioli in the coming weeks. Grazie mille!

So, I have gone back to the store this weekend and battled all of the other shoppers who were doing the same thing I was. I am slightly more prepared than I was. I now have loaves of bread in my freezer; I bought enough dried pasta for two weeks' worth of dinners and enough rice for probably another two weeks. I still have a little ways to go. But I'm not hoarding.


And I'm certainly not going to be stingy. So, if you're local to me and you need anything, please ask. We can arrange a curbside drop-off or swap because we are all in this together! And I always have wine to trade!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce