Kathleen from Fearlessly Creative Mammas is our host this month and since she is from Idaho, she picked potatoes. All of the recipes will feature potatoes in one form or another.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of the month. If you are a blogger and you're interested in joining in the fun, visit us at our Facebook Foodie Extravaganza page. You can also visit our past party submissions on our Pinterest Foodie Extravaganza board .
The Potato Party
We hope you will enjoy the recipes we are sharing this month. The potato is so versatile that we've come up with a huge variety of recipes for you to try.
- Latvian Spiced Dill French Fries from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Chicken and Mashed Potato Waffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chipotle and Lime Roasted Fingerling Potatoes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Horseradish Potato Au Gratin from From Gate to Plate
- Roasted Purple Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme from Our Good Life
- Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup from Making Miracles
- Llapingachos (Ecuadorian Stuffed Potato Patties) from Tara's Multicultural Table
- Tortilla Espanola (Spanish Omelet) from Cali's Cuisine
- Japanese Moon Gazing Potatoes from Ninja Baker
- Potato Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sweet Potato Spiced Swirl Bread from Baking in Pyjamas
- Loaded Pierogi from Cooking With Carlee
- Bloody Mary Potato Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Colcannon with Kale from Cherishing a Sweet Life
- Potato Rolled Tacos from Foodie and Wine
- Jersey Royals with Mint from Food Lust People Love
- Naked Ladies with their Legs Crossed from Passion Kneaded
- Shredded Potato Crusted Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Copycat Chicken & Gnocchi Soup from Pantry Friendly Cooking
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
My Potato Offering
Let’s talk about chicken and waffles. This is a completely new-to-me dish. I mean, I have heard about chicken and waffles for years. I just have never made them myself. Then I thought about chicken and mashed potatoes and I knew that I wanted to give chicken and mashed potato waffles a shot for this event. And it was such a hit with my family that we've made it three times already; these are cemented in our family's favorite dishes. And since everything is baked, I don't mind making them. Okay, the gravy probably isn't the healthiest... I will post my oven-crisped chicken recipe and creamy gravy recipe soon. Feel free to use your version of both until then. This post is, after all, all about the potato part!
Mashed Potato, Mozzarella and Herb Waffles
with Oven-Crisped Chicken and Creamy Gravy
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted and browned
- 1/4 C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 C mashed potatoes
- 3 T chopped herbs (I used a mixture of mint, parsley, and chives)
- 1/2 C flour (since my husband is doing a gluten-free experiment right now, I used a mixture of all purpose gluten-free from King Arthur and sweet white rice flour)
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1 C grated mozzarella cheese
Place browned butter into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in buttermilk and eggs until combined. Add in the mashed potatoes and 2 T herbs. Stir to combine.
In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix until all of the flour is thoroughly combined, but don't overwork the dough as it will render the waffles tough.
Heat a waffle iron and grease, if needed.
Scoop 1/4 C batter into the waffle iron. Cook until golden; the amount of time depends on your particular waffle iron. Remove waffles place on a wire rack to rest. The wire rack will keep the waffles from getting soggy as they cool.
Before serving the waffles, place waffles on a baking sheet and top with mozzarella cheese. Place waffles under the broiler until cheese is melted, approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining herbs and serve warm, topped with your favorite crispy chicken and favorite gravy!