#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs smoothly with the help of Heather of girlichef, and the rest of our fabulous bakers. Our host this month is Heather from girlichef, and our theme is Mexican Breads.
For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month's mouthwatering selection of #TwelveLoaves Cheese Breads!
No mater how you spell it, bolillos are sold through out Mexico. Bolillos are a small French roll or baguette; they are believed to have been introduced to Mexico by The Boleo Mining Company, a French company which operated in Santa Rosalia, Mexico in the 1800s. Though the mine is now defunct, but the bakery survived.
- 1 T active dry yeast
- 2 T organic granulated sugar
- 2 C warm water
- 5 to 5-1/2 C flour (I used a whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 t salt
- 1 C ice cold water
- Also needed: parchment paper
In a large mixing bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water and let stand until foamy, approximately 10 minutes. Beat in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a stiff dough. Knead, on a lightly floured surface, until the dough is elastic, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add more flour, if needed. Transfer to an oiled bowl, turning dough to coat with oil. Cover bowl with a kithen towel and let rise until doubled, approximately 90 minutes.
Punch dough down and form into canoe-shaped rolls. I got 7 rolls out of this recipe. Place rolls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Make a slash down the center of each roll with a sharp knife.
Brush dough with cold water. Bake until golden brown - anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on size of your rolls or loaves. Allow bread to cool on wire rack.
Here's the rest of the #TwelveLoaves Mexican Bread Basket...
- Bolillos from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cemitas from The Bread She Bakes
- Conchas de Pan Dulce from Cake Duchess
- Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) from Hostess At Heart
- Mexican Cemitas from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pan de Muerto from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Teleras (Flat Bread Rolls) from girlichef
- Whole Wheat Mexican Bolillos from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
If you'd like to bake along with us this month, share your Mexican Bread using hashtag #TwelveLoaves!