Skip to main content

SRC Reveal: Spiced Rhubarb Sauce over Duck Breasts


It's time for Group B's May 2015 Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month I was assigned to Grandma Loy's Kitchen. Loy was assigned to my blog last month when she made Rhubarb Curd. I was excited to return the favor.

Loy writes: "I am a 70 something wife, mother, and grandmother. I have a wonderful hubby whom I have been married to for 50 years,3 children and 3 grandchildren. Besides cooking, I enjoy knitting, sewing and quilting. I read cookbooks like novels, love to experiment in the kitchen and spend way too much time reading blogs."

I love her short description of her blog: "recipes old and new, tried and true collected for over 50 years." And she does have a wonderful selection of recipes from which to choose. But it was her selection of rhubarb recipes that really tickled my fancy. She has Rhubarb Streusel Shortbread BarsBumpy Rhubarb Cake, Rhubarb Dream Bars, Strawberry-Rhubarb Banana Smoothie, Rhubarb and Minute Tapioca (a guest post from Marsha of The Better Baker), and Rhubarb Barbeque Sauced Country Ribs (an SRC post inspired by Julie at A Little Bit of Everything).

We are a little rhubarb-mad in this house. I'll admit it. Here's my little guy, after I found rhubarb at Whole Foods. He asked me to take a photo and share it with his Uncle Brian. "Uncle Brian, None for you!" D declared. He is apparently - in addition to being an Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf - a rhubarb-hoarder.


So, for May's SRC reveal, I decided to make Loy's Spiced Rhubarb Sauce/JamThe zing from the rhubarb balances the fattiness of meats. I used the sauce to top some roasted duck breasts. Oh, my! Divine.


Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 C diced fresh rhubarb
  • 1 C + 2 T organic granulated sugar
  • 1/4 C cider vinegar
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 t ground cloves
  • 1/4 t ground allspice

Procedure
Combine all ingredients in a large, flat-bottom pan. Mix well.  Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 to 45 minutes.  Pour into a sterile jar and let cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use. In this case I spooned it over slices of braised duck breasts. Here's one way to cook the duck.



Comments

  1. Last spring I had Grandma Loy's blog and searched high and low for rhubarb so that I could make this sauce....I appreciate the reminder as I have rhubarb in the refrigerator. Great SRC selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely combination of rhubarb and duck. I've got some rhubarb in the fridge at the moment so I'll have to have a look at some of those recipes for some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do, Corina! We LOVE rhubarb...as you can see.

      Delete
  3. Oddly enough, I've never made anything with rhubarb. As a kid, I used to sneak into my neighbors garden and take rhubarb, then dip it into sugar and snack until I got a stomach ache!
    This recipe sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never just dipped rhubarb into sugar. Yum.

      Delete
  4. I am a rhubarb lover myself! The tart taste is so good! Glad to find yet another recipe to use it in!! (and several more you listed!) Love this choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee. You can never have enough rhubarb recipes, right?

      Delete
  5. Can you believe that I've never tried rhubarb? I think I'm going to have to put this recipe on my "to do" list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words, Camilla. I, too, am somewhat obsessed with rhubarb and love this time of year when I can get it fresh. I didn't realize I had quite as many rhubarb recipes on my blog and would never have thought to use that sauce with meat. What a great idea. I appreciate the great job you are doing hosting Secret Recipe Club's Group B. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loy - for the kind words and for the great recipe!

      Delete
  7. This sounds delicious and easy and would be good on lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen. Yes. I stirred it into some yogurt this morning.

      Delete
  8. I was passively (and unsuccessfully) hunting for rhubarb at a local grocery this morning. Clearly, another trip is in order as this sounds fantastic... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delish! Someday I will try this thing they call duck! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce