If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two.
I've Pickled Blueberries, Pickled Asparagus, Pickled Cranberries, Pickled Pumpkin, and even Pickled Chard Stems!
This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them!
Ingredients makes 1 quart jar
- radishes, trimmed and sliced
- organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer)
- 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar)
- 3/4 C water
- 3 T organic granulated sugar
- 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt)
- 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper
Layer your radishes and onions in a sterilized mason jar, packing them in tightly. Place all of the other ingredients together in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour the liquid over the top of the radishes and onions.