Skip to main content

Coconut Chicken Soup

In most parts of the country, summertime means barbeques and ice cream. But in the early summer on the Monterey peninsula, it means June gloom. Sixty degrees, if we're lucky, and a constant blanket of fog. Lovely. Today I decided to beat the gloom with a citrusy, spicy coconut-chicken soup.

Fennel bulb, sliced
garlic, minced
chicken, cubed
carrots
chard
spinach
coconut milk
water
ground ginger
ground cardamom
lemon juice
brown rice
soy sauce
organic bean sprouts

Cook brown rice. In a large soup pot, sauté the fennel and garlic till they begin to soften. Add the chicken and brown meat until completely cooked. Add carrots, chard, spinach, brown rice, coconut milk, and water. Season with spices, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Simmer till all vegetables are cooked through.

Photobucket

Comments

  1. That just sounds so delicious. Thai food is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds exquisite and is the perfect recipe to help us weather the June Gloom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I'm gonna have to try this! PS Jenn, do you live in CA? We are experiencing the June Gloom as I speak!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...