Skip to main content

(Squat) Lobster Bisque for National Lobster Day

Despite my tirade about national food holidays, I decided that I would participate in celebrating National Lobster Day today. But not having the amount of money in my food budget for four pounds of lobster meat, I opted for langostino - squat lobster - and whipped up a lobster bisque and a lobster pot pie. I paired those with a bottle of 2005 Carmel Chardonnay. Thanks for the wine, Greg.

To make my life even easier, I started with the same filling or base for both dishes. And thanks to Belle and Randy for the bounty from their garden I had some delicious, fresh fennel to add to it all.

fennel, sliced
leeks, sliced
garlic, minced
2 pounds langostino, cooked and peeled (or lobster meat)
carrots sliced
butter
flour
clam juice
chicken stock
milk
fresh oregano
fresh thyme
sea salt
organic heavy cream

I cooked the fennel, leek, and garlic in a large soup pot till softened and beginning to brown. Then I added the cooked langostino tails and carrots. In a separate pot I made a roux with butter and flour, then added clam juice to make a sauce. I added milk and cooked till thickened. Once the carrots were fork tender, I seasoned the langostino mixture with fresh oregano, fresh thyme, and sea salt. Then I added the cream sauce to the langostino pot, added chicken stock, and whisked to combine. After it was completed heated through, I blended the soup in batches till smooth and returned it to the pot. Right before serving I added a splash of heavy cream. Then I ladeled the soup into bowls and garnished with a sprig of fresh oregano.

Cheers...and happy national lobster day!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...