İyi ki doğdun! Turkish Meze, Ekşili Balık, and Donkey & Goat's 2021 Sparkling Grüner & Chard Pét-Nat #WinePW
Today the Wine Pairing Weekend writers are talking about Slow Wine. Gwendolyn of Wine Predator...Gwendolyn Alley is hosting; you can read her invitation. Last month, the Italian Food Wine Travel group looked at Italian Slow Wine. This month, we turn our eyes towards Slow Wine in the United States.
- Camilla Mann says İyi ki doğdun! Turkish Meze, Ekşili Balık, and Donkey & Goat's 2021 Sparkling Grüner & Chard Pét-Nat on Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
- Martin Redmond offers us a 2017 Prima Materia Sangiovese + Chicken Liver Truffle Ragu Rigatoni on ENOFYLZ Wine Blog.
- Deanna Kang has A Springtime Vegetable Menu with Biodynamic Troon Wines on Wineivore.
- David Crowley suggests Exploring Slow Wine with Pairings on Cooking Chat.
- Wendy Klik is Slowing Down and Enjoying Life with Castoro Cellars Zinfusion on A Day in the Life on the Farm.
- On Wine Predator Gwendolyn Alley features Southern Oregon’s Biodynamic Troon Vineyards Fizzante and Vermentino Paired with Pizza.
So, whenever we make it to Berkeley, we stop by the Donkey & Goat tasting room. The bocce court hasn't reopened yet, since it closed during the pandemic, but we enjoyed a sunny afternoon, tasting wines, snacking, and discussing the pros and cons of Cal vs. Cal Poly a few weeks ago. Our younger son was still undecided and we had just spent the day on campus. He has since committed to studying Environmental Engineering at Berkeley. My little Cal gal heart swelled with Bear spirit and mamma pride when he click 'Yes'. Go, Bears! Maybe one of these trips I'll actually get to meet Jared in person. I'll certainly be up there more often now.
According to their website, the Brandts make two sparkling wines per vintage. They rotate, explore, and ensure that they "do not make too many Pét-Nat wines." From a consumer perspective, I say 'Nonsense! There is no such thing as too many Pét-Nats. But, from the winemaker side, I understand the challenge of bottling while harvesting.
The grapes for this wine are Grüner Veltliner and Chardonnay and come from the Rava Jack Black and Conzleman vineyards. Chardonnay grapes from the Conzleman Vineyard are what go into their Lily's. Harvested and pressed on the same day - September 16, 2021 - the juice was bottled four days later and disgorged in February 2022.